Finally, the much-awaited WhatsApp dark mode has been released. It now joins hundreds of other popular offerings which have already made the transition to provide a dark theme or dark mode to their users.
Now, WhatsApp’s native dark mode is simply called Dark in the theme selection interface, and it will render a dark green profile to the messaging app’s entire UI and will have some contrasting colours here and there. The WhatsApp home screen and the settings menu will now be in a dark colour, but then when the conversation interface pops up, only the chat bubbles are dark. The background is white or it reflects any other colour which the users have set as the background.
It must be noted that dark mode is currently available only to the beta testers as of now. There is no official word as to when the feature will be rolled out via the stable channel, but then word doing the round is that it should not take very long.
How to enable Dark Mode in WhatsApp?
This is now rocket science – enabling dark mode or dark theme in WhatsApp is very simple. Here are the steps which should help you activate the new look. Apart from being easier on the eyes in low-light environments, it will also help the user to save battery on OLED screen phones.
1. Download the latest WhatsApp beta update and then open the app.
2. After this, tap on the three-dot menu icon at the top right corner of the screen and select Settings from the menu.
3. Now, once you have landed on the Settings page, tap on Chats, and then tap on Theme. Doing so will open a window where you choose the theme.
4. Tap on Dark in the window that appears. This will enable the dark mode interface all across the app.
5. The user can select the System default option to automatically switch between dark and light mode based on system settings.